Saturday, September 01, 2007

No offense...

Okay, I'm not just talking about the lack of the Dodgers' offense.

This is just something that's been stewing around in my head.

How many times have you said something and then followed it immediately with "no offense" hoping whatever you said didn't offend anyone in present company? And how many times does what was said actually hurt someone in present company? Does saying "no offense" will soften the insult? Does it soften the hurt? Personally speaking, it doesn't. I have been present when someone said something directed to me that was hurtful and added "no offense" at the end, thinking to avoid insulting me. But it did hurt. I didn't like be insulted, even though that person added "no offense" at the end.

So, maybe instead of tacking on "no offense" after something that is possible hurtful or offensive is said, we ought to be more careful about what we say. Or ... instead of taking "no offense" as an easy way out, we accept the responsibility of what was said and apologize for it.

No, no one said something that offended me and followed it with "no offense". At least not today. And I hope I didn't say something that offended anyone today, whether it be in person or on this blog entry. If I did, I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to be hurtful or to offend. I'm just tired of people who feel that they can use "no offense" as a shield when they say something that hurts me, whether they realize it or not.

No comments: